Apply for the Apprenticeship
The application for the 2024 cohort is now closed. Interested in future hiring updates? Sign up here:
Apply to Care for Trees
Openlands’ Arborist Registered Apprenticeship is an opportunity for individuals to participate in a 3-year registered apprenticeship program, working alongside industry professionals and gaining hands-on experience, training, and skills in arboriculture.
The Arborist Registered Apprenticeship is a 3-year training program from Openlands that includes:
- 5400 hours of paid, on-the-job training (OTJ)
- 400+ hours of paid, classroom learning
- Gaining certifications and industry credentials, including:
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Openlands TreeKeeper certification
- Introduction to Climbing Training
- Commercial driver’s license
- IL state pesticide applicator license
- Experience climbing trees, using power equipment, and planting, pruning and maintaining trees
- Learn the fundamentals of arboriculture and working with trees in an urban environment
Apprentices will be employed by Openlands for Year 1 of the apprenticeship and then be matched with a tree care employer partner in a Year 2 and 3 to complete the program. The program is full-time (35+ hours/week) with benefits and structured pay increases every 6 months.
The Arborist Registered Apprenticeship program seeks diverse candidates to participate in this program. Candidates currently unemployed, underemployed, and under-represented populations, including people of color and women, are encouraged to apply.
Email email@example.com with questions or to learn more about the ARA program.
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a signed social security card. If you need a new card, please go here.
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED
- Have a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
- Be proficient in reading, speaking, & writing in English
- Be physically capable of performing essential job functions, including lifting a minimum of 50 lbs. at any time, throughout the duration of the program