The staff accountant will perform a variety of general accounting duties relating to daily operations and the month end closing. This position will maintain, analyze, and reconcile various accounts and records related entries on a monthly basis; compile and analyze accounting data; and prepare reports. The staff accountant provides general support to the Vice President of Finance and Administration to whom this position reports. This is an exempt position.
- Assist in monthly closings by preparing routine and recurring journal entries, updating balance sheet, revenue, and expense schedules, and in analyzing schedules to propose adjustments
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government grants
- Prepare and record journal entries to update the general ledger for investment activity
- Update and reconcile cash flow spreadsheet on all operating accounts
- Review and code vendor invoices, enter vendor invoices, record daily cash receipts
- Prepare accounts receivable invoices
- Assist in preparation of annual budget and related amendments
- Record and reconcile budget amendments in Fund E-Z accounting software
- Assist in work paper preparation in conjunction with the year-end audit
- Other duties as assigned
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, 1 – 3 years of experience
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively and work as part of team
- Ability to be flexible to in responding to financial tasks and assignments as they emerge
- Experience using Fund E-Z a plus
- Salary range is market competitive. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b)-retirement plan, paid holidays and vacation time. This is a full time exempt position.
- Openlands is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why your skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@Openlands.org. Please include “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
Openlands protects the natural and open spaces of northeastern Illinois and the surrounding region to ensure cleaner air and water, protect natural habitats and wildlife, and help balance and enrich our lives. Openlands’ vision for the region is a landscape that includes a vast network of land and water trails, tree-lined streets, and intimate public gardens within easy reach of every city dweller. It also includes parks and preserves big enough to provide natural habitat and to give visitors a sense of the vast prairies, woodlands, and wetlands that were here before the cities. In sum, Openlands believes that protected open space is critical for the quality of life of our region.