The Neighborhood Programs Intern will gain experience in all areas of our Neighborhood Programs at Openlands including program outreach, community engagement, and building horticultural skills. The intern will gain high-level resume- and portfolio-building experience at a leading Chicago non-profit. This position works closely with and reports to the Neighborhood Program Director. Weekly commitment and beginning and ending dates are negotiable.
Founded in 1963, Openlands is one of the nation’s oldest and most successful metropolitan conservation organizations, having helped secure, protect, and provide public access to more than 55,000 acres of land for parks, forest preserves, wildlife refuges, land and water greenway corridors, and urban gardens. For more information, please visit http://www.openlands.org.
- Assist in drafting electronic communications, website content, and other messaging to support Openlands’ neighborhood programs
- Assist in conducting and documenting site assessment surveys of Openlands’ network of community gardens
- Assist in recruitment for classes, workdays, and events
- Data entry and other administrative duties as needed
- Other responsibilities as they develop, based on interest areas and organizational needs.
- Excellent writing ability and visual literacy
- Strong organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to conservation
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Flexible, easy-going personality and sense of humor, a plus
- Spanish-speaking encouraged
Position Commitment: Part time, up to 20 hours/week (flexible)
Start Date: Rolling basis
End Date: 10-12 week after start date
Location: Openlands Offices at 25 E. Washington St., Chicago
Interested applicants should send a cover letter including why your skills and experience would complement this position and resume to Elvia Rodriguez Ochoa, Openlands Neighborhood Programs Director, at ERodriguez-Ochoa@openlands.org and include Neighborhood Programs Intern in the subject line. No calls please.