The Grant Writer is a key member of Openlands’ development team and reports to the Director of Development. The Grant Writer researches funding opportunities from corporate, foundation, and government grants; writes and submits proposals; manages reporting on achievement of grant requirements in collaboration with staff members; and assists in maintaining the grants calendar.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to research, prepare, and submit letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and other grant related materials.
- Researches potential funding opportunities to meet identified needs; recommends prospects and solicitation strategies.
- Maintains detailed and accurate records of all grant activity.
- Assists in maintaining the grants schedule, including submission, reporting, and stewardship deadlines.
- Collaborates with staff members to develop accurate, timely, and compelling submissions and reports.
- Ensures compliance with all funder specific guidelines and requirements.
- Assists with donor recognition and engagement efforts and events, as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BS/BA required
- Exceptional writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Knowledge and familiarity with developing proposals and reports
- Knowledge of prospect research techniques
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
- Experience with a nonprofit, mission-driven organization
- Ability to think and problem-solve creatively
- Experience with CRM systems (DonorPerfect, Raisers’ Edge) preferred.
Salary range is market competitive. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays and vacation time. This is a full time exempt position.
Openlands is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why your skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@Openlands.org. Please include “Grant Writer” in the subject line.
Openlands protects the natural and open spaces of northeastern Illinois and the surrounding region to ensure cleaner air and water, protect natural habitats and wildlife, and help balance and enrich our lives. Openlands’ vision for the region is a landscape that includes a vast network of land and water trails, tree-lined streets, and intimate public gardens within easy reach of every city dweller. It also includes parks and preserves big enough to provide natural habitat and to give visitors a sense of the vast prairies, woodlands, and wetlands that were here before the cities. In sum, Openlands believes that protected open space is critical for the quality of life of our region.