The intern will gain high-level resume- and portfolio-building experience at Openlands, a leading Chicago non-profit. The Education Intern will assist with duties related to Birds in my Neighborhood®. Specifically, these duties will include observing and assisting with volunteer coordination, program planning, implementation and evaluation. This position reports to the Program Coordinator for Education, for 16 hours per week, from May-September of 2018.
Founded in 1963, Openlands is one of the nation’s oldest and most successful metropolitan conservation organizations, having helped secure, protect, and provide public access to more than 55,000 acres of land for parks, forest preserves, wildlife refuges, land and water greenway corridors, and urban gardens. For more information, please visit http://www.openlands.org.
- Gain an understanding of volunteer coordination, program planning, implementation, and evaluation through assistance and observation
- Research existing classroom curricula on birds and provide to participating classrooms
- Assist Education Coordinator with Birds in my Neighborhood® volunteer coordination by maintaining the program’s database
- Assist Education Coordinator or other Openlands staff with field trips to natural areas such as Hackmatack National Wildlife Refuge, the Openlands Lakeshore Preserve, or Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie
- Develop a companion guide for teachers in the Birds in my Neighborhood program
- Organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills
- Interest in environmental education and engagement
- Commitment to conservation
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher)
Position Commitment: Part time, up to 16 hours per week
Start Date: May 2018
End Date: September 2018
Location: Openlands Offices at 25 E. Washington St., Chicago
Interested applicants should send a cover letter including why your skills and experience would complement this position and resume to John Cawood, Openlands Education Programs Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org and include Education Intern in the subject line. No calls please.
Openlands is an equal opportunity employer.