Are you interested in working for a mission-driven organization? Do you have a passion for the Natural Environment? One of Chicago’s regional leaders in conservation is hiring a Director of Accounting. This position offers a hybrid work model.
Since 1963, Openlands has protected the natural and open spaces of northeastern Illinois and the surrounding region to ensure cleaner air and water, protect natural habitats and wildlife, and help balance and enrich our lives.
Openlands’ vision for the region is a landscape that includes a vast network of land and water trails, tree-lined streets, and intimate public gardens within easy reach of every city dweller. It also includes parks and preserves big enough to provide natural habitat and to give visitors a sense of the vast prairies, woodlands, and wetlands that were here before the cities. In sum, Openlands believes that protected open space is critical for the quality of life of our region.
The Position – Hybrid
The Director of Accounting is responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities and reports to the Vice President of Finance and Administration. Our organization is working with a hybrid work environment with at least two days a week working remotely.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports and in an accurate and timely manner; prepare monthly and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes.
- Manage cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the development team, provide periodic reports to management.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning, and forecasting process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Coordinate all activities, schedules, and reports in conjunction with the annual financial audit and filing of the Form 990
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Oversee accounting team to maintain a collaborative environment, supervise to ensure timeliness and accuracy of accounting information.
- Support VP of Finance and Administration in engaging the board finance committee around work plan
- Other duties as assigned
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a BS in Accounting, CPA preferred
- Seven to ten years of nonprofit accounting and finance experience including experience in evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. S/he will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs.
- Experience in working with grants management and compliance with federal and state grants.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines driven projects and set priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience with accounting software, Fund E-Z a plus
Salary range is $80,000 – 95,000. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b)-retirement plan, paid holidays, and vacation time.
This position is open until filled. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why your skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@Openlands.org. Please include “Director of Accounting” in the subject line.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
This position offers a hybrid work schedule with a combination of remote and work in our downtown Chicago office which is ADA accessible. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer. This role requires manual labor- standing, bending, crouching, lifting. Smoke- and drug-free environment
Openlands is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Openlands does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Openlands is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.