The Development Operations Coordinator plays a tactical role in supporting all fundraising efforts of Openlands. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn about all aspects of fundraising and be a part of a small but dynamic development team. This position is non-exempt and reports to the Director of Development.
Gift Processing, Tracking, and Acknowledgement (35%)
- Manage Development database records.
- Process donations and gift acknowledgments. Including, processing all gift types daily, directing the monthly and annual development/finance gift reconciliation process.
- Produce regular development and campaign reports.
- Assist with submission and tracking of foundation grant proposals/reports and direct mail appeals.
- Maintain established procedures and standards for grant agreements, pledges, tribute gifts, matching gifts, etc.
- Reconcile daily batch reports with the Finance Department.
- Prepare and execute acknowledgement letters and pledge reminders in a timely fashion.
- Analyze data and create campaign dashboards to ensure long term development of major and planned gifts and growth of annual fund.
- Conduct research in order to make recommendations to build the donor pipeline.
- Conduct foundation and major donor prospect research.
Special Campaign, Annual Fund and Donor Database (35%)
- Maintain donor paper files and database: adding new constituents, updating contacts, running standard reports, extracting mailing lists, and maintaining data integrity.
- Implement systems for tracking major gifts work in database including contact reports.
- Utilize database knowledge and gift trends to support Development team with execution and analysis of special campaign, direct mail, annual fund, and other giving strategies.
- Develop, disseminate and maintain business documentation to ensure compliance with business rules related to data integrity.
General Administrative Support (20%)
- Maintain department calendar: track and coordinate all major development activities, including key meetings, solicitations, invitation drop dates, and events.
- Assist development staff in preparing briefings about donors as background for events.
- Assist with other special projects as needed.
Event Planning and Execution (10%)
- Support the planning and implementation of special events including but not limited to the Annual Luncheon, Leadership Circle Luncheon, and other cultivation and stewardship events as needed.
- Perform other development duties as assigned in collaboration with development team to foster progress towards the organization’s development goals.
- Adhere to and foster Openlands’ employee values: Communication, Supportive, Respect, Equity and Strategic/Intentional.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BA/BS Degree; 2-3 years of fundraising and/or event planning experience preferred
- Knowledge of and creativity in the use of fundraising systems for research, reporting and tracking purposes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously
- Strong project management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office required
- Experience in events management preferred
Salary range is market competitive. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays and vacation time.
This position is open until filled. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why your skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@Openlands.org. Please include “Development Operations Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Openlands office is ADA accessible. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer. This role requires manual labor- standing, bending, crouching, lifting. Openlands is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
Openlands is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Openlands does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Openlands is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
Openlands protects the natural and open spaces of northeastern Illinois and the surrounding region to ensure cleaner air and water, protect natural habitats and wildlife, and help balance and enrich our lives.
Openlands’ vision for the region is a landscape that includes a vast network of land and water trails, tree-lined streets, and intimate public gardens within easy reach of every city dweller. It also includes parks and preserves big enough to provide natural habitat and to give visitors a sense of the vast prairies, woodlands, and wetlands that were here before the cities. In sum, Openlands believes that protected open space is critical for the quality of life of our region.