The Campaign Manager position is both strategic and tactical, working closely with staff and leadership volunteers. Reporting to the Vice President of External Affairs, the Campaign Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of Openlands’ campaign activities. In addition to working closely with the Vice President of External Affairs, the Campaign Manager will work with the Director of Development, Director of Communications, Campaign Committee, and, as needed, members of the Board of Directors, related board committees, campaign counsel, and/or other key stakeholders. Specific duties will include the following:
- Provide day-to-day management of the campaign and oversee its development and implementation. Prepare ongoing campaign updates, including numerical analysis of campaign progress, for staff, the Board of Directors, and volunteer committees.
- Assist campaign leadership in training committee members and board solicitors.
- Serve as primary staff liaison for campaign committee and workgroups and support committee volunteers in setting committee direction, agendas, meeting materials, and follow-up.
- Help develop solicitation strategies that may include multiple philanthropic vehicles and prepare staff and volunteers for donor solicitation.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the campaign to assure that its information systems and related processes and procedures are efficient and effective in order to optimize research for and communication with staff, volunteers, and donors.
- Identify and cultivate prospects for campaign gifts, both personally and by facilitating management, Campaign Committee and Board Members, and/or others in securing the gifts directly.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and the Campaign Committee to keep the team abreast of the strategy and status of the campaign and work collaboratively to ensure the Campaign leads to long term development of major and planned gifts and growth of Openlands’ annual fund.
- Liaise with Director of Communications to coordinate design and production of campaign collateral materials that are in line with the Openlands’ brand and to create and manage communications from Openlands to key donors and volunteers for the campaign.
- Design and oversee cultivation events for prospects, including support of volunteers who host events.
- Work collaboratively with other departments and programs throughout Openlands.
- Manage campaign budget.
- An individual who engenders support among colleagues, staff, and the community by virtue of his or her knowledge, experience, creativity, vision, and dedication to Openlands’ mission.
- Someone of maturity, wisdom and credibility who is looked to for advice and counsel.
- A collaborator who fosters team spirit and has the ability to organize, encourage, motivate, and focus others in pursuit of a well-developed plan.
- A leadership style marked by enthusiasm, imagination, patience, drive, and follow-through.
- A proven track record in the field of development.
- Prior experience using fundraising systems for research, reporting, and tracking. Experience with DonorPerfect a plus.
- A career that includes involvement in a successful major capital or endowment campaign.
- Background in motivating and responding to the needs of committed board members, enthusiastic volunteers, and major donor prospects.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of and creativity in the use of fundraising systems for research, reporting, and tracking purposes
- Broad and/or deep knowledge of fundraising principles, major gift and solicitation strategy solicitations, capital or endowment campaigns, planned giving, and foundation grants.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate clearly and convincingly Openlands’ vision to current and potential supporters.
- A person with the ability to envision, strategize, plan, and execute in a complex institutional environment.
- Ability to manage and communicate the “big picture,” while executing and implementing details.
This position is open until filled. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why their skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@openlands.org. Please include “Campaign Manager” in the subject line.
Loop office is ADA accessible. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer. Openalnds is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
Salary range is market competitive. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b)-retirement plan, paid holidays, and vacation time. This is a full-time, exempt position. Openlands is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Openlands is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Openlands does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Openlands is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.